- Emotions can be used to regulate human social life.
- Emotions can be used to coordinate one’s social life.
- Emotions can ensure human survival.
- Emotions can be used to change the destiny of others.
- Emotions are influencing tools.
- Emotions are signals of intentions and desires.
- Emotions can be used to shape behavior.
- Emotions are tied to cultures.
Based on the perception of the observer and the interpreted or responded to emotion, people can adaptively respond to the signals of their environment, to fight or flight, and to send signals about their intentions to their immediate environment.
If you believe a partner is committed to a relationship because he is attentive to your demands, then you’d want to be yourself.
A society without the mechanism of language would have to rely on non-verbal cues for communication. But that would serve as a disadvantage when danger lurks and such danger is of immediate or spontaneous concern.
Followers react to their leaders anger and are happy when he is happy. Nations go to war on the say-so of their President. When a lover feels loved, he wants to love in return.
People respond readily to emotions of trust and want to reply in like. Most persons dislike treachery and are disgusted to hear accounts of such.
By watching a deaf-and-dumb sign, you can deduce sometimes if they are angry, happy, sad or annoyed. When other methods that serve as vehicles of communication fail, people often resort to emotional cues.
People can decode emotional signals differently. Persons with high information processing abilities react to a leader’s anger while those with low information processing abilities believe the leader is insensitive, dislikes them etc when he expresses the emotion of anger. The accuracy to decode the message transmitted by an emotion and the degree of emotional expressivity can greatly shape other’s behavior.
Remember display rules? Also, traditions and customs can greatly shape one’s emotions. I can particularly testify to that this year when I went to the village to attend my grandmother’s burial. I even blogged about it.So, the EASI model can be a good tool in understanding, regulating and coordination our social life using emotions interpretation and responses.
- How to use emotions to Human Advantage (Introduction).
- Series 1: How emotions can function as message bearers.
- Series 2: Why emotions can drive a second emotional response.
- Series 3: How emotions play a part in decision making.
- Series 4: Information processing of emotional signals.
- Series 5: The social context in responding and interpreting emotions.
- Series 6: Implications of using emotions as social information tokens.